Pages

Monday, July 20, 2020

Breadmachine Sourdough Bread

It has been a long time since my blog was las updated. Recently my soon to be 14 years old (as in 6 days!!!) daughter has expressed some interest in blogging. I reminded her that I already had a blog she thought it would be a good time to resurrect Blessed Beyond Measure!! I am looking forward to her posting here as well!!

So, how do you jump back into a blog in the middle of a pandemic?? How about a recipe for Breadmachine Sourdough bread? While we were in self-isolation and it was impossible to get a Walmart grocery order pick-up schedule I started making bread. My 20+-year-old bread machine was dusted off, my precious jar of yeast dug out of the freezer and I got to work. Within minutes my bread machine was squeaking like a hamster wheel, leaving the kids to ask what that awful sound was and my husband thinking the smoke alarm was chirping in need of a new battery. A quick search on the internet and no luck finding a new breadmaker for under $300 left me more than happy with my old, squeaky machine!! I also soon discovered that yeast was hard to find! It took a few weeks, but I was finally able to purchase some yeast on Amazon.

My user manual for my bread machine has a recipe for "quick" sourdough bread. Instead of using a sourdough starter, it calls for plain yogurt and a little lemon juice. The kids love sourdough bread! I have been recently gifted a starter for Amish Friendship Bread and have been using it in my recipe. Seriously, it makes to best bread!!



Bread machine Sourdough bread

2/3 c Sourdough starter (or you can use 2/3 c plain yogurt and 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
1/2 c water, I have to add slightly more
1 Tbsp butter
3 1/4 c flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp Yeast

I add ingredients in order listed, then select the French bread,  large, dough cycle. Mine takes about an hour and 20 minutes. I take the dough out of the machine and put it on a cookie sheet to rise, covered for an additional 30 minutes. I then place it in a 350* oven for 30 minutes. Once baked I wait 10-15 minutes before slicing. (It is so hard to keep the kids away from the hot bread!)

This loaf is huge!! My cutting board is 11x16! I may use 2 loaf pans next time, but not sure the kids will eat it if it isn't round. You know how kids are! LOL

I am always looking for new recipes, currently, I need recipes to use my Amish Friendship Bread starter, please share if you have a favorite!! Bread machine recipes are welcome too!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Stacy Rogers said...

Thanks for sharing Lisa! I love baking bread but haven't made sourdough before. I'm the only one here who likes it and it seems so time consuming and wasteful to make it just for one. I'm going to try your quick version!